Muscle Powered

My latest awesome thrifting find was this Zassenhaus hand crank coffee grinder. It needed a good cleaning, but other than that, it's in fantastic shape. I paid $2. It retails for $80. I was very proud.


I've never used a hand mill for coffee before and I guess I was expecting it to be this laborious process. I mean, if it wasn't, why would we replace it with electric ones? I clearly don't have the time in my busy schedule to turn a crank to grind my coffee, right? It must take hours and so much effort. Obviously, no it doesn't. In a side-by-side comparison with my electric grinder (I have lots of ground coffee now), the hand mill was actually faster. Plus I had more fine-tuned control of the coarseness of the grind and it was more consistent. Unlike my electric grinder, which is plastic, this guy is all wood and steel. Nothing to wear out. Nothing to break. This will be the last coffee mill that I will ever buy. In short, I love it. I love the whole process. I love that with the exception of boiling the water, I don't have to plug anything in at all to make coffee. I love mindfully moving through the steps. I don't want to just push a button; I want to slow down and appreciate the time and the labor that so many people invest along the way so that a girl in Iowa can have a cup of coffee. From the farmer in Ecuador to the guy down the street who roasts the beans, I have several people to be thankful to for this indulgence. And I am grateful. Reveling in the process reminds me to be grateful and that's what I like most of all.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Great find! Mind if I'm a bit jealous? That's been on my (small) thrifting list for a good while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter. They use their little hand coffee mill to grind wheat when they are starving.

    Nice find for $2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exciting! this is a great find and might just have me browsing the thrift stores for one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't ya love a good find~ i, like you, wonder why we quit using such useful, longlasting items, only to trade them in for cheap stuff that doesn't last~

    i bet the coffee will taste better too~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score. What are the chances I would find one here!?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...I want to slow down and appreciate the time and the labor that so many people invest along the way..."

    I love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find. And you are so right about slowing down and enjoying the process, the journey. If only that would catch on, I think people would be a lot happier, instead of left feeling empty and exhausted at the end of the "race". Thanks for sharing such wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a great thrifter-- what a wonderful, thoughtful way to start each day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like great fun, and I am in love with the little drawer at the bottom -- too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my parents have something like this in their 'country' home- I know it's been used but I don't think they use it.

    ReplyDelete