Cures what ails ya

It is again rainy and dreary in my corner of the world. In all honesty, I don't really mind thunderstorms or rain. I think that reading a book or working around the house to the background sounds of falling water can be very soothing. But, when you're stuck in a gray office and it's gray outside...yuck.

Solution? Cookies. So many cookies. These are by far our favorite treat to make. Cookies are easy and quick and incredibly satisfying. I use my mom's recipe, with a few changes that I made once we started following more of a traditional foods diet. We use all natural sugars and whole grain flour. Don't let that fool you, though. They are still light and sweet and very good. The date sugar can be hard to find. They used to carry it at my co-op, but they closed it out. I stocked up when they did, but it's also available online. I feel better about using it (rather than brown sugar) because it's less processed and it contains all sorts of micronutrients. So, it's a yummy treat, but my body is also getting some of the things that it needs.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 C. butter, at room temperature
1 C. evaporated cane sugar
1/2 C. date sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. hot water
1/2 tsp. salt
3 C. whole spelt flour
2 C. chocolate chips

In a mixer, cream the butter.
Add first the cane sugar at a medium speed, then reduce the speed and add the date sugar.
Add one egg at a time, allowing the first to become fully incorporated before adding the second.
Add the vanilla.
In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add to mixture, along with the salt.
Slowly add the flour.
Add the chocolate chips.

Use a spoon to make balls that are slightly smaller than golf balls and put on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 11 to 12 minute. You'll know they're done when the tops just begin to crack.

5 comments:

  1. yum! must be cookie day~ i'm making macaroons today for our knitting group~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe! It's so important to have alternatives. Even though we are trying to be faithful to healthful eating, sometimes you just want a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo- those look so good- sweet, soft and chewy-
    I love the plate you have them on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made your cookies today! Yum! I love that they are healthier than my usually recipe (with white flour).. so I let myself eat 2 instead of 1!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad they turned out, MGG! Go crazy, have 3! I usually do. ;)

    ReplyDelete