Bolting

Whoa! I really hadn't intended on being away from this space for so long! I guess that's what happens when you go out of town and return exhausted. We journeyed to my home town for a family reunion. After catching up on sleep and all of the tasks around the house that I had let slide, I headed out to the garden only to find a complete jungle mess. Weeds like rain and neglect, I guess.

I missed harvesting one little radish and now he has flowered and will soon go to seed. I'm actually a little excited to practice my seed saving skills.


My bok choy also bolted. We didn't get to enjoy much of this, actually. I harvested a couple of heads, but then we had the slug problem. By the time I got that taken care of it was just too warm for these little guys. As with the radish, I think I'm going to go ahead and let them go to seed and see what happens. Garden experiments galore!

10 comments:

  1. I think this year will be a big experiment for me as well, as the slugs did a big number on my garden. Share what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading about your garden experiments!

    i've been meaning to send you this link because it made me think of you: http://claudiapearsonillustration.blogspot.com/2010/06/mushrooms-ive-just-recently-started.html

    and on a related note, i was walking the other day and saw what looked to be a piece of meat jutting out of a crack in the sidewalk crack. on closer inspection i found it was a mushroom! it made me think of you and your experiments in mycology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garden experiments are the best experiments for grown ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you Courtney! Hope all is well with you and yours...

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Next year, I want to dedicate more time to a garden! This is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what will happen in a garden - mostly it´s what I least expects..! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss you and hope all is well and you'll be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like every year is an experiment fo rme in the garden. I lose something or something bolts too soon yet I learn a little more each year too. I heard somewhere that bok choy is better to grow in the fall, becuase it bolts as soon as the heat hits, but I've not tried it that way. Your bolted plant flowers are beautiful.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where 'ya been Courtney? Missing your posts. Hope all is ok!

    ReplyDelete