Oyster Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce

Until recently, my conceptual understanding of "mushrooms" were the brown slices that came in a can and occasionally appeared on my dad's pizza. My horizons have now been broadened to include not only white button, but also crimini, shiitake, and portobellos on a fairly regular basis. I'm lucky enough to live near a local mushroom grower who sells a variety at the Farmer's Market and last week I picked up some Blue Oyster Mushrooms without any idea of what to do with them.


The original plan was to use them in a recipe out of the cookbook Momofuku, but when it came time to make it, it just wasn't calling out to me anymore. So, I did something that I never do. I made up a recipe from scratch. Granted, it's a stir fry, the instructions for which are basically "dice all available vegetables, throw into wok, and serve over rice." But, like I've mentioned before, I'm a slave to recipes, so this effort to trust my instincts was a step in the right direction for me. What I came up with was oyster mushroom stir fry in oyster sauce. Oyster mushrooms are named as such because they have the same mouthfeel as oysters and I found this to be true. I thought that they had a very mild flavor on their own, which made them good blank slates for carrying the flavor of the sauce. Tell me what you think.

Oyster Mushroom Stir Fry in Oyster Sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 spring onions, minced
1/2 lb. oyster mushrooms, sliced
1/2 green pepper, julienned
2 C. chinese cabbage, sliced into ribbons

For the sauce:
2 TBS. oyster sauce
3 TBS. soy sauce
3 TBS. dry sherry
2 TBS. sesame oil
2 tsp. corn starch

Begin by mixing together all of the sauce ingredients and setting aside.

Heat a small amount of sesame oil in a wok over high heat.
When the oil begins to glisten, add garlic and onions and stir fry until fragrant (about 1 minute).
Add green peppers and stir fry until just they just start to soften (2-3 minutes).
Add mushrooms and cabbage and stir fry until wilted (2-3 minutes).
Add sauce, stir fry to coat well, and allow to heat through and thicken slightly (1-2 minutes).

Serve over brown rice, makes roughly 2 1/2 servings.

If I were to make this again, I might add some minced ginger. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love all mushrooms-
    You are so lucky to have a mushroom grower near by! I used to go mushroom picking as a little girl with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a slave to recipes too...I type that with my head lowered in shame toward my keyboard...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of one of my favorite fungus oyster.

    Fantastic post.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you are lucky to have source of mushrooms near you! sometimes in the summer we can get some locally grown mushrooms but not that often. last year my husband picked chanterelles from where he worked and we ate them!! isn't it fun to discover new foods to love. pennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm...this looks so good. i love mushrooms and haven't been eating nearly enough of them lately. this is going on the menu soon. i know we'll be getting some bok choy from our csa!

    ReplyDelete