Comfort Food: Beef Stroganoff

This post is somewhat of a follow-up to last Friday's photo of Steve in the kitchen. At our house, the cooking duties are split about 70/30 in my favor. But, there are a few dishes that are Steve's and Steve's alone and this is one of them. We both entered into our relationship with fond memories of the beef stroganoff recipe that our respective mothers had prepared. They were just different enough, so we alternated between his version and my version. Eventually, I wised up and I realized that if I let Steve win, there would be one more recipe in rotation that he would be in charge of and for which I wouldn't have to do a thing. Clever Girl.


"Let Him Cook" Beef Stroganoff

3/4 lb. beef steak (any cut will do), cut into small cubes
1/2 large onion, chopped
Handful white button mushrooms, sliced
3/4-1 C. sour cream
Salt and pepper
Egg noodle pasta to serve

Bring salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the fat of your choice and brown the beef.
Add the onions and mushrooms and saute until soft.
Add sour cream, reduce heat, and simmer until warmed through.
Season with salt and a generous amount of freshly grated pepper.
Serve over egg noodles.

Makes 3 1/2 or so servings.

(For those curious minds...in my mother's recipe, there were no mushrooms and she added about a tablespoon of prepared yellow mustard. I do kinda miss the mustard.)

9 comments:

  1. Either way sounds good but yes you are a clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never had beef stroganoff, but this looks good. i'd like to try making a veggie version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had it either but it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how many different versions there are of this recipe--probably as many recipes as there are mothers! ;) I'm going to have to give this one a try, as it is not as complicated as the ones handed down to me (and it looks just divine!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Courtney! Thanks for stopping by!

    I'm a big fan of beef stroganoff, so this post is pretty exciting for me. :)

    You have a lovely blog, I look forward to poking around a little more -- cheers!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello? YUM. When is Steve coming over to cook that at my house? I am totally printing it out and will make it tomorrow!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks quite good! Haven't had this in soooo long...just might have to make it this weekend (:

    ReplyDelete