Vintage books

The mornings are crisp, the afternoons warm; all the trees are budding; and craigslist is full of garage sale ads. Yes, spring (and thrifting season!) is upon us. I had my first "official" day of garage sale-ing last weekend. After entering all of the addresses into Google maps, it draw me a route, and I patted myself on my back for my efficiency. To celebrate the season, I want to share one of my favorite thrifting finds.


I don't think it's any secret that I'm a bit of a sucker for old books. The subject doesn't really matter. I have equal affection for old gardening books and math texts. I love the weight of them, the scratchy cover fabric, and the delicate way that I have to handle the pages. But, give me an old book about nature? I don't think it gets any better than that. This little gem was written in 1895 and was a Christmas gift to Louise Leslie Sarley from Mama in 1912.


The chapters are divided into seasons, each sharing bits of common natural wisdom told by a mama to her "three little lovers of nature." These stories are then used as points of entry to talk about American history, geography, medicine, and the like.


It's beautifully illustrated and I absolutely love the concept: nature as a platform by which to learn everything else, a wonderful model for education, I think.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness,what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhhh a kindred spirit! I LOVE LOVE old books!
    Just the sight of one calms my soul :)

    happy day!

    ~marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi courtney:: dont you love sticking your nose in an old book, ah the smell...

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a great find! i am a complete sucker for old books. i love the inscription in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this -- wanna go find a copy ...

    ReplyDelete