'Kita

It's a busy week at work, which doesn't leave me too much time to write. So, I thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce you to a member of my family.


This is Nikita our almost 9-year-old terrier/sheltie. On a Saturday morning a year and a half ago, Steve and I met some friends at the animal shelter. They volunteer there, taking all the photos of the animals and maintaining the website, and invited us down "just to look." We played with the kitties and met all the dogs. There was a beautiful German Shepherd and several Pit Bulls (my favorite). But, Nikita was different. She didn't make a sound the entire time we were there. She just sat with her nose right up to the front of her cage and locked her big brown eyes on me. She wouldn't look away. When they let her out for us to meet her, she was a little shy, but friendly and sweet and so full of love to give.

On the drive there, Steve and I promised each other that this really was just a "looking" visit. We had three cats at home and, while we wanted a dog, we were worried that it might be a bit much. Ten minutes later we were filling out the paperwork to adopt her. Her former owner had passed away and no one in the family wanted her, so she was surrendered to the shelter. Because of this situation, we had more information than usual about her background and her temperament.

Now, she is so much a part of our lives, that I really can't remember life before her. Her favorite time of the day is our morning "cuddle time." Every morning at 4:00 a.m. on the dot, she gets into bed with us and snuggles into my arms. It's heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Kita is CUTE-
    I just read all your comments from your book review this weekend. NICE.

    ReplyDelete