Comfort Food: Potato Pizza

When Steve and I were still courting, one of our favorite things to do together was to cook. I have lovely and vivid memories of going over to his apartment and dancing, literally, around his kitchen. At this point in time, I thought that he must be quite the cook; he did have a flour sifter and a proper double boiler after all. It took me awhile to realize, though, that these implements were purchased solely for the preparation of single dishes that were created solely to impress me. He stumbled around the kitchen just as much as I did. Precious.

I'm not sure where we heard of potato pizza, but we thought the idea sounded delicious and we made it up as we went along. The only sticking point was exactly how to prepare the potatoes. I stood firmly behind mashed and he thought sliced and fried sounded better. So we did half and half. As the recipe below will show, my half won.


This is a very flexible recipe and what is printed here only represents the incarnation that we prepared last night. Feel free to substitute and play. We do.

I use Alicia's pizza dough recipe from Bread & Honey:
1 C. Warm water
2 C. Whole wheat flour
1 C. White flour
2 TBS. Vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 TBS. Honey
1 tsp. Salt
2 1/4 tsp. (or, one packet) Yeast
2 TBS. Olive oil

(A Note...last night I tried the dough recipe with 100% whole spelt flour. The result was a much stickier dough, but it was also lighter and milder in flavor.)

Add the honey, olive oil, and yeast to the warm water and stir. Set aside for it to get foamy.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the flour, vital wheat gluten, and salt. Stir to combine.
Pour the water mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.
Knead dough for 8-10 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled.
Punch down and allow to rest while you prepare the pizza toppings.

For the Pizza:
3 Russet potatoes
3/4 C. fresh snipped chives
1-2 TBS. Horseradish
2-3 TBS. Hot mustard
1/4-1/3 C. Sour cream (or try yogurt! or heavy cream! or ranch dressing!)
1/3 C. Ranch dressing
1 tsp. Dried oregano
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C. Onion, diced
1 C. freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Clean and pierce potatoes and boil for 30 minutes until easily pierced with a fork.
Drain water, allow potatoes to cool and then peel.
Mash potatoes. Add horseradish, hot mustard, chives, salt, pepper, and enough sour cream to achieve a creamy, but not runny, texture. Mix to combine.
(You can prepare the potatoes ahead of time, which is what we do. It's a great way to use up leftovers!)

Roll out your pizza dough to about a 12" circle. It can be more or less, depending on how thick you like your crust.
Generously coat a pizza baking stone with cornmeal before putting the dough on it.
Pinch/roll the crust up around the edges.

Using the back of a spoon, spread the ranch dressing over the dough.
Sprinkle with oregano.
Evenly spread onion and garlic over the dough.
Using a rubber scraper, distribute potatoes evenly over pizza.
Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
Brush the edges of the crust with olive oil to prevent it from getting too dry.
Bake at 425 for 18-20 minutes (I don't pre-heat).
Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of potato pizza.
    It looks good.
    I am very anti Ranch Dressing though- won't keep it in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pizza looks fantastic. Very inventive recipe. I could go for some right now, especially since it is lunch time. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone. Most people look at me funny when I say "potato pizza." :)

    Why the anti-Ranch stance? I'm not a huge fan, but Steve loves it, so it's one of the few store-bought things that I still keep around. I'm on the hunt for a good homemade version though. This recipe definitely works without it. You can use sour cream as the base or even pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lazaro! It is what I'm having for lunch, actually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ranch Dressing is a very American condiment- and I didn't grow up having it in the house.
    I don't hate it it's just not something that I think compliments food well- I find it is over powering. I have friends from Texas who add it to everything, really, everything.
    If you ever find a good recipe for a homemade one though I would be really interested.
    I like making tzatziki- a yogurt, cucumber garlic dip- which is similar and tastes great with raw veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this pizza looks awesome. i could eat pizza for every meal, so i love finding new variations. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that sounds better is the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy pizza we made one night on a whim!

    ReplyDelete