Seeds, seeds, seeds

My enormous seed order has arrived and I've begun the somewhat daunting task of putting them into some sort of order. There was really no rhyme or reason to how I did things last year. I started some seeds inside when I remembered to and planted outside when it felt warm-ish. I'm hoping to have a bit more structure this year in the hopes of upping my harvest success. Online, I stumbled onto the idea of keeping a calendar dedicated solely to the garden. This seems obvious, but I really hadn't thought of it. So I sat down and sorted my seeds into several piles: those that needed to be started inside based on how many weeks prior to last frost they needed to be started and those that can be direct seeded outside based on when (before, at, or after last frost) they can be planted. I then rubberbanded each pile together and labeled them by date of when they should be planted and marked those dates on my calendar.

In an ideal world, I would also count out how many seeds I'm actually going to plant on those dates and repackage the remainder, either for future succession plantings or to properly store for next season, but I'm not feeling that ambitious yet. Like I've said before, I move slowly. But, I think this is a step in the right direction to being more mindful of how I garden and making my investment in it (both of time and of money) count.

1 comment:

  1. ...your gramma vera would be so proud of you, courtney!

    ReplyDelete