Ordering seeds

It was a snow day here yesterday. Steve was already planning on staying home because he's sick and I got to join him because I couldn't get out of our driveway. So, I had an entire day to sit and cook and knit and (finally!) place my spring seed order. I ordered much much more than I could possibly plant, but it's not like they'll go bad if I don't get them planted this spring. These seeds are guaranteed to have a high germination  rate for up to ten years and when properly stored, they can last much longer than that. My brother gives me a hard time about spending as much money on seeds as I do. I insist on buying heirloom varieties that are non-GMO and are open pollinated. Yes, I spend $2.00 for a pack of tomato seeds where he spends $1.00. But I can save the seeds from my tomatoes year after year eliminating the need to buy new seeds and making that $2.00 go much farther, which to me seems to make more sense.

Last year, I ordered from Seed Savers Exchange because they're non-profit, they're local, and I wanted to support their goals of preserving heirloom seeds. I was very happy with them.  I decided to spread my love this year, though, and ordered from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. They are regionally local for me (they're in Missouri, I'm in Iowa) and they have an amazing selection. I also like how they've incorporated their values (which I share) into their business practice. In their words:
"We also work extensively to supply free seeds to many of the world’s poorest countries, as well as here at home in school gardens and other educational projects. It is our goal to educate everyone about a better, safer food supply and fight gene-altered Frankenfood and the companies that support it."

So, now I wait. Last year I wasn't nearly as organized as I needed to be, so I have a calendar all ready to map out when everything needs to be planted and I'm hoping to get on a more regular watering schedule. It's hard to keep on top of these things when you're working outside the home everyday. I usually don't have time in the morning to get out there before I leave for work, which leaves me just a sliver of time in the evenings when I get home and the weekends. But, I'm hoping to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment