30

So, I turned 30 over the weekend and I have to say, it's not much different than 29. It was an absolutely wonderful day. Steve made me breakfast and a heart-breakingly sweet card, I spent the afternoon yarn shopping and looking for bald eagles by the river, and that evening we went to dinner and a play. I wouldn't have changed a thing about it.

Steve got a "talking to" when we first started dating during which I informed him that my birthday and Valentine's Day were, in fact, separate holidays and I expected to celebrate them as such. I've chilled out since then. Even though we make sure to express our love for one another in some way on a daily basis, I do think it's important to set aside time specifically dedicated to being together and thanking one another for our love and support. We just do so on our holidays instead of on those days that are dictated for us. Like all the choices I make, I want my decision to celebrate a holiday to be just that, a choice. It seems so silly to just go through the motions of celebrating a certain holiday because that's what the store displays tell me to do. They should be more meaningful than that. As we're entering into the phase of our lives in which we want to start a family, I have begun to really think about the act of celebration, how we recognize special events, and the traditions we want to pass down. I know food will always be a big part of celebration for me. Not because it's been that way in the past, but because I have a new-found joy in preparing and sharing food. Gift giving may go by the wayside, or at the very least, will be reduced. I'm a fan of "one gift per child" for occasions like Christmas. I don't want our associations of happiness to be about stuff or about opening presents. I want them to be about spending time together, being in nature together, and showing gratitude to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment