Patching


I bought these slippers about a year ago from simpleshoes.com. They have been well-worn and well-loved and they mark the first of many many purchases from that website. Although I love the philosophy of Simple Shoes--all natural, all recycled materials--I'm disappointed with how quickly the shoes I've purchased there have begun to break down and show wear. I'm trying to decide which has more impact: buying new shoes every year that are made from all natural/recycled materials or wearing shoes that are less enviro-consciously made, but that last me for many years. I have a pair of leather Dansko's that I literally wore every day for three years and then off and on for two years after that. I've had the soles worked on once and the leather over the toe is only just now starting to show wear. That just seems like a better investment to me.

But back to the slippers...they didn't originally have the white and purple patches on the toes. I added those the other day to cover two huge gaping holes. The uppers are coming loose on the sides as well, so I think I'm going to have to add some more patches in the near future. All of this made me feel very thrifty and practical, but it's also really sparked a desire to learn to sew. Other than your basic running or blanket stitch, I'm completely at a loss when it comes to needle and thread. I think this needs to be remedied. I have an old sewing machine that I've been trying to make work for awhile, without much success. But, soon. I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment