Inertia

It's been a slow week in my neck of the woods. Rainy and dreary...I haven't felt like doing much of anything. I had our rain barrel all drained and ready to be stored for the winter. But I didn't actually store it and then it rained some more and now I have a full rain barrel again. So, I'll have to move the hose to a different flower bed and let 'er drain out again.

This evening I am picking up some Siberian Irises that I'm getting from a woman on Freecycle. I had very grand plans about what I was going to plant this fall and I haven't gotten around to most of it. We did plant a Pussy Willow that I grew from a cutting I got from another woman on Freecycle. I put in 20 daffodils and 18 allium bulbs that I bought on clearance last winter after it was too late to plant them--so I had to wait almost an entire year to get them in the ground. Hopefully, at least some of them will grow next spring. As far as food crops, I transplanted some rhubarb that Dad brought me from the farm where he grew up, planted 52 cloves of garlic, and the 10' x 20' patch of hard red winter wheat that I mentioned earlier. Little by little. I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't plant anything last fall, so getting anything at all in the ground is an improvement.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to make all of the changes that I want to make in my life right now. Slow and steady may win the race, but I'd much rather have the instant gratification. But, when part of the goal is to not buy new things and to not spend much money, it takes much time and effort to get everything done. Next up on the docket? Breaking down a chicken. Now, this is a pre-packaged whole chicken, so no feathers or anything like that (defeathering is for another day), but it will be my first time cutting down a whole chicken. I have a meat cleaver that has just been sitting unused in my knife block since I got it and it will finally get some use tonight. I had been paying twice as much per pound for boneless/skinless chicken breasts as I paid per pound for this whole chicken. So there's the cost incentive. Plus, I'll have the bones, out of which I'm excited to make my first batch of chicken stock. Tonight, part of the chicken will be made into Jamaican Chicken Curry. The rest...has yet to be determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment